Tuesday, October 12, 2010

1 Timothy, 2 Timothy


I love First and Second Timothy. Paul has a warmth that is encouraging while at the same time the strength to still exhort his young protege. Imagine being willing to sacrifice all for the gospel! Imagine being his protege and how challenging that must be for you! These two epistles include:

A powerful doxology ("Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible ...")

Assurance of God's saving love ("who wants all men to be saved...")
Christ as the one Mediator

Guidelines for selecting church leaders

Strong exhortations to flee ungodliness for righteousness, faith, love, and peace

A declaration of faith in God's keeping power

A call to endure hardship

A warning to handle God's word as careful workmen

Advice in gently instructing opponents

A revelation of all Scripture as "God-breathed"

But my mind keeps returning to Paul's last words:

"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness ...." (2 Timothy 4:7-8)

No comments:

Post a Comment